| 01:49:26 22 June 2020
Veteran of the Psychic Wars
On forum: 05/12/2007
Shadow of Chernobyl - Patch 1.0005|
This was posted elsewhere but I thought I would share it here too:
The Agroprom Underground > Military Base, is one of the few missions in SoC, that I don't prefer to do it the way GSC envisioned the Player to do it. It's not because it's too hard or anything, it's just a matter of logistics. To put it simply, there's too much loot in the Agroprom Underground to pop up in the Military Base and then be tasked with conquering it. There's too much loot in the Military Base alone, if you kill and loot every soldier, empty every stash and find all the supplies out in the open. Again this is all logistics. There's really two separate events here, if you're a looter like me.
Now we both know the Game prods you to do otherwise. You are told the Military Base ( by the deserted soldier, if you happen to find him timely ) is too heavily guarded to attack on the surface and by going at night, when the guards are less, you should use the Agroprom Underground to sneak into the Base, grab the documents and escape using stealth without being seen. Yes, it's possible, but very hard to do this without alerting the Military. I guess everyone should do this at least once.
However another point I think GSC wanted to make, was the terror of going through the Agroprom Underground for the first time. When you have crappy armor. When you have no night vision. When you have starter weapons like the sawn-off shotgun. You don't normally see a SPSA-14 or Chaser-13 until Yantar. You're supposed to have the crap scared out of you. Most people should only have the standard leather jacket, the Bandit leather jacket or the Rookie Village Mercenary suit if you hadn't gotten it shot up and decided to finally use it.
As far as stealth and sneaking around goes, the Game is punishing difficult to pull this off. Enemies seem to hear everything and sometimes see through walls. Sure, you can make Manual Saves at various points and reload them if you're stealth fails and you attempt to try again but here's where a new problem develops. Even if your Manual Save was made at a point before you are seen or detected, once your enemies go on-line and you reload that same Manual Save with your enemies in that same radius, your cover is forever blown.
So I'm not suggesting a new Player should do it any other way than how GSC wanted you to do it. Try it that way and accomplish it the way they wanted. However, if like me you love the game enough to try it again and want to try variations with the retail Game before Modding, here's what I like to do. I'll number it in steps.
(1) Defeat the Bandits. Rescue Mole. Follow Mole to the entrance to the Agroprom Underground, as the Military is arriving in helicopters. However DON'T go in yet. There's simply no long term way for Mole to stay alive at this point. The Game will spawn more Bandits, more Military, more mutants, especially Bloodsuckers to return to the Agroprom complex. Mole will die. What you want to do is return to the main buildings and face the oncoming Military. I like to climb to the roof of the building closest to the west wall opening and wait on the roof. The Military will come from the east in the open courtyard and are vulnerable until they go inside the buildings. The roof of the building you are on has another access that is from the inside that the Military will try to use to get to you. Indoors, it can only be accessed by the elevated walkway that has windows. Any Military getting inside are again vulnerable through those windows. Any making it past that, have to come up the ladder that you can shoot down into the access hole. Once they are all defeated, loot them and store the loot locally.
(2) Stay with Mole. As mentioned, spawns of enemies will get him as he runs back and forth from the main building to the entrance to the Underground. Mole has a unique pistol on him. He's not a perma-body so once he dies he will eventually vanish, taking the unique pistol with him. If you don't care about collecting the unique weapons, then it doesn't matter. You can skip all this if you don't care about Mole. Go visit the Military deserter in the trailer in the small pond who gives you the info on the Military Base for your PDA.
(3) Here's where I greatly diverge from the intended events in the Game. I DON'T go into the Agroprom Underground. Not this trip. Why? You don't need to. Not only is there too much loot down there as mentioned, to do the Agroprom Underground > Military Base scenario, you really only need to get the Military Documents. So I start my campaign against the Military Base. I take out the road patrols on one side and then move to the other road and it's patrols. Repeat if they are quickly replaced. I generally go back and forth at the gates to reduce the number of personnel manning them ( I may take some of the loot back to my main stash at the other compound ). You also want to take out the tower guards. Once I kill a dozen or more, I sneak in to the rear of the complex and from the high hill to the south, I can shoot at Military inside the main building through the windows. Now you have your choice of ways to infiltrate the Base. Through the north or east gate or through the broken wall in the south-west corner. There's lots of loot, supplies and stashes to be found. Take back to the Loner Compound that may be full of Bandits or Bloodsuckers, but may have some Loners show up.
(4) Now it's time to leave the Agroprom. Grab the Night Star ( if you're lucky and this can be done before the entire Military Base campaign ) in the far south-east corner anomaly field ( you need this as it's the last rare item to get the Tourist suit ) and the Military Documents is the actual item needed to open the Garbage gate to Rostok. Now you are free to go to Rostok.
(5) When to do the Agroprom Underground? It's a choice depending on your circumstances. You can return when you have better armor ( higher carrying capacity ) better weapons and night vision. You can wait until after Yantar ( better shotgun ) when the game prompts you to meet Guide in the Cordon who then tells you to meet Doc in the Agroprom Underground. That's a good time for me since I have to go there anyway. You can exit at the Military Base and fight a reduced contingent OR simply exit above ground, go to the nearest tower by the east wall, go up the tower and use it to jump over the wall by the north-east corner. It's not being a coward or anything. It's simply because my weight is maxed out from loot taken from the Underground and I can't take any more if I stay to fight the Military. So that's basically it.
BONUS points: Before entering the Agroprom for the first time, go to the Cordon and talk to Wolf at the Rookie Village. Take the job to kill the Boars or the other one from him but don't go do it. Then rush north as quickly as possible to enter the Agroprom. Why? You've only got 24 game time hours to finish Wolf's job before it expires. You can use your PDA to track Wolf moving north to the Army Warehouses as soon as you touch the Military Documents. Wolf needs that opened gate in Garbage to get there. It's fun to watch his path on your PDA and you can even try to catch up with him if you're fast. Remember only 24 hours of tracking once you take the job and Wolf is in a hurry to deliver the dynamite to Colonel Skull.
Asus ROG Strix Z590-E ❖ Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080 10GB ❖ Intel i-7 11700K Rocket Lake 3.6 GHz
Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3600 64GB ❖ Corsair RM 850X PSU ❖ Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Western Digital Black SN850 3TB NVMe SSD ❖ Antec Dark League DP502 Flux ATX Case
( 2 ) Acer FA 100 1TB NVMe SSD ❖ Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M Dual Tower
Asus ROG Strix XG32VQR 144Hz 1440p ❖ Logitech Z906 5.1 DTS 500W